NBA News and Rumors – January 20, 2010

Magic GM Shoots Down Talk Of Reunion With Arenas

Ex-minority owner: Pistons want a sale

Shaq says he’ll get LeBron to dunk if NBA’s stars join the field: Cavaliers Insider

Magic GM Shoots Down Talk Of Reunion With Arenas

Magic general manager Otis Smth denied speculation that Orlando would be Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas’(notes) new home once Arenas gets through with his legal issues.

"I have a lot of love for Gilbert, but this is something I’ve not given a whole lot of thought to," Smith told the Orlando Sentinel. "…I don’t know where this is coming from. There is nothing in the works. No talk about it on this end or any other end."

Smith was in Golden State when the Warriors drafted Arenas in 2001, and the two have remained close.

Meanwhile, The Washington Post reported that it’s unlikely that the Wizards will try to void Arenas’ contract—the team doesn’t consider it realistic because of the fight with the players association that would follow.
More from Sporting News: TNT Crew Chides LeBron For Skipping Dunk Contest

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-magicgmshootsdowntal&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Ex-minority owner: Pistons want a sale

Oscar Feldman, a former minority owner of the Pistons, told Crain’s Detroit Business that Karen Davidson is making an attempt to sell the team.

"Karen is inquiring into selling the team, and her limited partners concur in that decision," Feldman said in a story posted online Tuesday afternoon.

The Free Press reported online Monday and in Tuesday’s print editions that the Pistons were not for sale now but could be soon, according to a person close to the situation. That position was reiterated Tuesday.

Davidson assumed control of the franchise after her husband Bill’s death March 13. It’s believed that any decision to sell the team would not be made solely by Davidson but by a collection of the heirs and trustees of the estate.

Feldman told Crain’s he sold his stake in the Pistons to the Davidson estate in October. Feldman did not return messages from the Free Press.

The Free Press contacted Tim Frank, NBA vice president of basketball communications, regarding a report that Karen Davidson had a discussion with NBA commissioner David Stern about selling the team.

Frank, who handles media inquiries for Stern, wrote in an e-mail: "I am not aware of anything on this."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100120/SPORTS18/1200325/1051/sports03/Ex-minority-owner-Pistons-want-a-sale

Shaq says he’ll get LeBron to dunk if NBA’s stars join the field: Cavaliers Insider

Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer

Shaquille O’Neal knows fans are disappointed LeBron James seems to be skipping the Slam Dunk Contest. But he has a solution, albeit a long-shot one.

O’Neal promised to talk James in to taking part in the event over All-Star Weekend in Dallas next month if a couple more high-profile stars will join him.

“As his manager, I will only allow LeBron to do the dunk contest if Vince Carter comes back out, if Kobe [Bryant] comes back out and if another big name comes back out,” O’Neal said. “And if we can get a big prize and half of the money go to the people of Haiti and the other half to the winner.”

James said last year he’d do the contest but hedged in recent months. He didn’t commit last week and Monday the NBA announced the Lakers’ Shannon Brown, the Bobcats’ Gerald Wallace and the Knicks’ Nate Robinson would take part. The last spot is to be determined by a dunk off between Raptors rookie DeMar DeRozan and the Clippers’ Eric Gordon at halftime of the Rookie Challenge game.

“The guys that are in it, no disrespect to them, but they wouldn’t really be any competition for LeBron,” O’Neal said.

On Tuesday, James said he enjoys watching All-Star Saturday night but that he doesn’t feel like taking part. He said he has no regrets for going back on his statement from a year ago.

“I’m not a regretful guy,” James said. “I don’t know, I’m just not high on [the contest].”

TNT, which will televise the Slam Dunk Contest, continues to apply pressure for James to take part. On their air last year, James said he would and analysts in their "Inside the NBA" show continue to pound away on that statement.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/01/atlantas_protest_rejected_by_c.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

HTML tags are not allowed.