Raptors likely to trade forward/center Chris Bosh by the deadline
– Pacers power forward Troy Murphy is on the Cavs’ radar. The Pacers
are rebuilding and might be open to trading Murphy. But they might be
reluctant to trade him for Zydrunas Ilgauskas. But things could chance
by the Feb. 18 deadline.
– When forward/center Anderson Varejao reached an agreement with the Cavs last year, several media outlets (including one near and dear to us) reported it was a $50 million deal. In all fairness, it was basically a deal for the full mid-level exception. All that was guaranteed was about $37 million. If Varejao picks up an option, it’s worth $42 million. With bonuses, it could be worth $50 million.
– An NBA personnel man said he expects Ohio State guard David Lighty to return for another season with the Buckeyes. He said the former Villa Angela-St. Joseph High star is a marginal NBA prospect right now.
– The Cavs want to use Ilgauskas as trade bait, but want that team to buy out his contract so he can return to the team after 30 days. There are no guarantees that will happen. It would be very risky to trade Z and not get him back.
– The Cavs definitely want Wizards forward Antawn Jamison. One league source questions the Wizards’ willingness to help the Cavs. There are some natural competitive issues there, fueled by the playoff losses and the Larry Hughes signing in 2005. Again, things can change.
– There are reports the Wizards are asking for Ilgauskas, power forward J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick for Jamison.
– The Raptors likely will trade forward/center Chris Bosh by the deadline.
"He’s done everything but send them a postcard," one source said.
Many expect Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo to be proactive in trade talks.
– Another major star could change teams by the deadline: Suns forward/center Amar’e Stoudemire. A source said the Suns have several deals on the table for him.